Spatial Planner/Senior Spatial Planner
Job Title: Spatial Planner / Senior Spatial Planner
Date: Announced 30/6/20. First interviews in week of 20/7/20 but open until filled.
Salary: £25-34,000 /year depending on experience
Duration: 1 year fixed term initially with possibility of permanent position following
Location: Home/Remote (must be UK based)
Biodiversify is a conservation consultancy which advises a range of private, public and third sector clients who want to act for nature. We work at the cutting-edge of scientific research to employ creative and disruptive techniques to challenge the status-quo of how biodiversity is managed in practice. Our team is able to offer a wide range of services and we have undertaken projects which vary from fisheries governance research to biodiversity impacts of the fashion sector. We are a small company of experts who work remotely with a strong emphasis on quality and innovation but who place a high value on work-life balance, job satisfaction and career development. We are looking for a spatial planner to assist us with our natural capital planning work stream.
The candidate will be expected to support our Research and Development Lead in delivering the technical elements of a natural capital plan in the east of England. Main duties and responsibilities include:
- Searching for, preparing and managing spatial data
- Conducting literature reviews to support modelling assumptions
- Support development and design of methodological approaches
- Running spatial optimization analyses
- Developing communication materials
- Support other projects across the company as necessary
The successful candidate will have an environmental background and proven ability in handling spatial data.
- A Masters degree in a relevant environmental subject
- 2+ years of professional work experience or a PhD in a relevant subject
- Demonstrated experience in undertaking spatial analysis
- Experience in managing large spatial data sets
- Experience of ArcGIS or QGIS
- Ability to work remotely and independently
- Knowledge of UK agri-environment policies
- Passion for biodiversity recovery
- Experience working using interdisciplinary approaches
- Experience searching, handling and/or creating spatially explicit socio-economic data
- Experience using Marxan, Zonation, other spatial conservation planning software or using linear programming in optimization exercises
- Experience with ‘R’ Programming Language
- Experience with python within the context of spatial analysis
This is a unique opportunity to join a conservation start-up with bold ambitions. Our company ethos is centered around three main areas; (1) to work at the cutting edge of applied conservation science (2) To explore new markets and assist a wide range of entities who are thinking about biodiversity outside of typical ‘conservation’, and (3) To work in a way which is flexible, interesting and compatible with family life and our own needs and interests. We started Biodiversify with the aim of creating our dream jobs. This is partially about the work we do, but also about our work ethic and professional culture. The successful candidate will be able to help shape this as we evolve and grow.
Specific benefits include:
• Company pension scheme
• Home working contributions as laid out in our Remote Working Policy
• Sick pay
• 25 days annual leave + 8 bank holidays
• Flexible working
• Annual bonus in line with company performance
• Ability to contribute to academic research
Please send an up to date CV and covering letter outlining your suitability for the position to email@example.com. First interviews will be scheduled for week commencing 20th July but position will remain open until filled.